The seminar will share Urban Labs experience and practices within V4+ countries and discuss the Urban Lab idea within the context of other governance initiatives in urban and metropolitan cooperation. The aim of the seminar is to stimulate and support cooperation between partners, share experiences, discuss practices of urban participation, bottom up approaches and initiatives, fostering cooperation on metropolitan and neighborhood levels.
Urban Lab is an instrument (organization) of cooperation between city authorities and residents (including NGOs, real estate owners, housing associations, etc.), enterprises and research entities (universities, research units, experts) aiming at improving the quality of life of residents through innovative solutions to identified problems.
The seminar consists of two parts. In the first part the idea and concept of Urban Labs will be introduced and Polish partners will share their experience gained with pilot projects of Urban Labs implemented in cooperation with the Ministry of Development Funds and Regional Policy and co-financed by the Cohesion Fund. The seminar will also present good practices implemented by different urban labs from European countries.
The second part will first present current initiatives in metropolitan and urban cooperation in Czechia. Second, a panel of urban and metropolitan decision-makers, administrators and experts will discuss the potential of Urban Lab practices in relation to various initiatives aimed at urban and metropolitan governance and cooperation in V4+ countries.
Part I: Urban Labs as an Innovative Tool of Bottom-up Driven Urban Cooperation
9:15-9:30: The Idea and Concept of Urban Labs
- Magdalena Bień - Institute of Urban and Regional Development - Urban Lab project implementation
9:30-10:30: Sharing Urban Lab Experience
- Magdalena Żółkiewicz - Coordinator of the City Incubator, Urban Lab Gdynia - Implementation experience in the context of developing participation and bottom-up initiatives
- Konrad Fijołek - President of the city of Rzeszów - Urban Lab Rzeszów's experience in implementing projects with residents
- Bertil Bjork - Managing Director at STPLN (Malmo) - STPLN - a participatory take on Urban Lab
- Wojciech Jarczewski, Ph.D. - Head of the Institute of Urban and Regional Development - short summary and a word about ULNet + discussion
Part II: Urban and metropolitan cooperation in the V4 + countries in the context of developing bottom-up initiatives
10:45-11:15: Urban and metropolitan cooperation: issues and challenges
- Ing. Petr Šašinka, Ph.D. - Head of the Department of the ITI Management and Metropolitan Cooperation, The City of Brno - Experience with metropolitan cooperation and planning in Brno Metropolitan Area
- Ing. Petr Návrat, MSc. - Managing Partner (MRTPI) at ONplan lab, s.r.o. - Institutionalising bottom up creative urban innovation, oxymoron or the way forward?
11:15-12:00: Bottom-up initiatives in urban, neighborhood and metropolitan cooperation
Moderator: Prof. RNDr. Luděk Sýkora, Ph.D. - Charles University in Prague, Faculty of Science, Department of Social Geography and Regional Development
- Mgr. František Kubeš, Ph.D. - Head of the Strategic Development and Cooperation Department, Brno City Hall
- Michał Guć - vice president of Gdynia
- Jacek Woźnikowski - Head of the Department of Socio-Economic Development and Cooperation, Metropolis GZM
- Wojciech Jarczewski, Ph.D. - Head of the Institute of Urban and Regional Development
12:00-12:30: Summary and suggestions: initiatives, practices, achievements, challenges and further steps
- Prof. RNDr. Luděk Sýkora, Ph.D. - Charles University in Prague, Faculty of Science, Department of Social Geography and Regional Development - summary
- Bartosz Piziak, Ph.D. - Coordinator of the Urban Lab project, Institute of Urban and Regional Development - General summary of the V4+ Project (with reference to previous events)
Institute of Urban and Regional Development, Kraków, Poland